Assignment 1: LASA IIâ€”Disorders of Sensory and Perceptual Systems
Throughout this course, you have looked at all of the sensory and perceptual systems in the human body. One subject not discussed to a large degree is disorders of the sensory and perceptual systems.
Using the module readings, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, research sensation and perception disorders. Based on your research, do the following:
- Imagine you are teaching your peers about the disorders of the sensory and perceptual systems.
- Select one sensation or perception disorder (such as sensory processing disorder, anosmia, apperceptive visual agnosia, glaucoma, verbal auditory agnosia, or developmental dyslexia resulting from auditory processing deficit).
- Using at least two peer-reviewed journal articles discussing the disorder you have selected, develop a presentation to provide an overview of the disorder. Explain the following points in the presentation:
- Sensory system affected by the disorderâ€”including the specific physiological structures that are affected
- Perceptual processing affected by the disorder
- Analysis of the disorder from both top-down and bottom-up perspectives
- The more appropriate approach for viewing this disorderâ€”top-down or bottom-up
- Etiology of the disorder
- Coping strategies and treatment, if any
- Related and/or co-occurring disorders
- Psychological impact of the disorder (outside of the perceptual deficit)
- Be sure to include the following in your presentation:
- A title slide
- A slide with references
- Detailed speaker notes to accompany each slide to further discuss the topics
Develop an 8â€“10-slide presentation in PowerPoint format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M5_A1.ppt.
By Monday, October 10, 2016, deliver your assignment to the M5: Assignment 1 Dropbox.
|Assignment 1 Grading Criteria||
|Applied at least two peer-reviewed journal articles to the presentation.||
|Explained the sensory system affected, including the specific physiological structures affected.||
|Explained the perceptual processing affected.||
|Analyzed the disorder from both the top-down and bottom-up perspectives, indicating which perspective is most appropriate in viewing the disorder.||
|Detailed the etiology of the disorder.||
|Evaluated the coping strategies and treatment methods, or gave evidence that no treatment is available.||
|Summarized related and/or co-occurring disorders.||
|Explored the psychological impact of the disorder (outside of the perceptual deficit).||